Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Aren't you just a cutie patootie!

I'll let you in on my little game. It's called, "Pick the Cutest Guy on the Subway," and I play it every morning, although recently it's been slim pickings. Not that I have any room to talk.

Last week I squeezed into one of the few open subway seats so I could easily access my make-shift to-go container of oatmeal. But while I was scanning the vicinity for lucky winner #1, my tongue was nudging the last stubborn morsels of Quaker goodness from my molars - equaling creepy, contorted face. Yep, I'm that attractive. And so today I arrived at the realization that if I were to move to the city permanently, inevitably I'd end up dating one of those bicycle carriage drivers from Central Park, the European ones with the great calf muscles. They're not exactly on the most profitable career path, but as I rationed out my quarters today for the coin-laundry machines, I also realized I'm not exactly Trump Tower material myself.

But c'est la vie.

On a more optimistic note, I fell in love with Seventeen's art department today! At our Brown Bag Luncheon, Mike Reddy, the art director, spoke about page layout and the process of designing a magazine six months in advance of its publication date. He was kind enough to humor all my questions. My appreciation for the magazine grew immensely, and I found myself getting that really excited feeling in my stomach when I know I'm supposed to pursue something. So bordering on stalker-ism, I "Googled" his name to see if I could find any other work he's done, and at the chance of libel, I'm going to say off-the-record that I may have found his illustration Web site and blog.


If both aforementioned Mike Reddies are not one and the same, it's still cool artwork, whomever the artist, and some random Mike Reddy who doesn't work at Seventeen has earned my admiration. The end.

No comments: